My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25, 2012: Great American Stories, Part Three

[As work on the writing project continues, this week’s brief posts will highlight some of my favorite American short stories, by some of our most talented authors in this unique and compelling genre. Suggestions, and even guest posts, very welcome as always!]

Today’s great American story is Kate Chopin’s

“The Storm” (1898).

Chopin’s most famous story is “The Story of an Hour,” and it’s great too. But “The Storm” was so controversially great that it was never published in Chopin’s lifetime. Her final line certainly pushes on lots of boundaries, as does her story overall. But it’s also just amazingly rich and dense for such a short short story. What’s your take on the end?

Next story tomorrow,

Ben

PS. Again, what do you think? And nominations?

4/25 Memory Day nominee: Ella Fitzgerald! What else do I need to say?!

No comments:

Post a Comment